|Message: Re: Muon-induced nuclear reactor in Geant4 10?||Not Logged In (login)|
Click on the Forum title, e.g. on the "Forums by Category" page, to read a sequence of postings to the Forum and its threads all in one page. If you are only interested in one thread or the thread following a specific posting, click the thread or the posting, which takes you to a smaller page, which contains only the part you are interested in and may be easier to navigate.
Messages are "chained" if there are only replies at the first level, i.e. 1/1.html, 1/1/1.html etc. In case of "chained" messages the message number is replaced by the icon and there is no indentation.
Inline: Display the subject line only or also the text of the posting(s); for the choice "All" the "Outline" choices are switched off.
|1||0||1||no text / full text of posting|
|2||1||All||text for level 1 only / text for All postings|
Outline: Choose the depth of the posting thread, successive toggle controls provide increasing detail.
|1||2||1||2 levels / 1 level (original posting)|
|2||3||2||3 levels / 2 levels|
|3||3||All||3 levels / all levels (all postings)|
I found that a sufficiently thick uranium target triggers the strange behaviour more frequently, so I have been able to put together a simple simulation to show off the problem. Here is a tarball containing the code and the CMakeLists to reproduce the issue: https://www.hightail.com/download/UlRUa3NVNkdCTWsxZXNUQw I tried this program on my 64 bit ArchLinux system with gcc 4.9.2. With Geant4 10.00.p02 the simulation shows the "nuclear reactor" behaviour, while with Geant4 9.6.p03 the muon is stopped without producing any nuclear cascade. To better analyze what's going on during the simulation I applied this patch: https://www.hightail.com/download/UlRUa3NVNkc3bUEwTWNUQw to G4EventManager.cc to dump the secondaries. Here are the logs for the two runs with 9.6.p03 and 10.00.p02 (I stopped the latter with Ctrl-C after a few seconds): https://www.hightail.com/download/UlRUa3NVNkc3bURxYk1UQw https://www.hightail.com/download/UlRUa3NVNkc3bUROUjhUQw I don't know which behaviour is the correct one, and for what I know it could be due to changes in the code, changes in the models or changes in the datasets (for each Geant4 version I used the datasets which are automatically installed when configuring the build with -DGEANT4_INSTALL_DATA=ON). Yet the two are really different so something must be wrong somewhere. If this is really an issue and not just my fault then I can open a bug report if needed, just tell me which bug tracker (Jira@CERN, Bugzilla@KEK, ...) I should use. Thanks.
|Inline Depth:||Outline Depth:||Add message:|